Dan Bus Company
|Service area||Gush Dan|
|Service type||bus service|
|Annual ridership||152,200,000 (not including subsidiaries)|
Dan Bus Company (Hebrew: דן חברה לתחבורה ציבורית) is an Israeli bus company based in Tel Aviv. It operates local bus service in the Tel Aviv Metropolitan Area (Gush Dan) as well as some intercity bus services between the Gush Dan area and nearby regions.
Dan was founded as a cooperative on 1 December 1945, from the merger of 2 companies, Galei HaMaavir and Ihud Regev. It demutualised, becoming a limited company in May 2002. Dan operates 1,200 buses and has 2,400 employees. It transports over 600,000 passengers daily. In 2009, 23.5% of all Israeli bus travelers used Dan's lines. Dan provides bus service six days a week. From Friday afternoon until after Sunset Saturday night, service is suspended in observance of the Jewish Sabbath. Dan buses run until approximately 23:30 p.m. and resume service in the early morning hours.
In September 2009, Dan and Veolia reached an agreement on the purchase of Veolia's share in the Jerusalem Light Rail for $15–20 million. In October 2010, Veolia reneged and said it would sell its stake to Egged. As a result, Dan sued Veolia.
In 2015, Dan established the subsidiary Dan BaDarom (Dan South) to compete on tenders in southern Israel. In May 2015, Dan BaDarom won a tender to operate bus routes in the Northern Negev and in February 2016, Dan BaDarom started to operate these routes. In January 2016, Dan BaDarom won a tender to operate the urban routes in Be'er Sheva.
In May 2022, Dan group purchased TST, the bus operator in Setúbal area from Arriva.
Since 2013, Dan has been contracted to operate the Metronit bus rapid transport system in Haifa and the Krayot suburbs until October 15, 2021 where Dan was replaced with Superbus as the Metronit’s operator.
- ^ תכנית תחרות ענף התחבורה הציבורית באוטובוסים 2030-2018 שנים [Competition Plan for Bus Public Transportation for Years 2018–2030] (PDF) (Report) (in Hebrew). Israel Ministry of Transport. June 2018. Retrieved 21 June 2018.
- ^ Shahar, Hazelcorn (28 May 2015). "מיוחד: איזו חברת אוטובוס מעניקה שירות ראוי" [Special: Which Bus Company Provides Acceptable Service]. Yedioth Ahronoth (in Hebrew). Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- ^ Avi Bar-Eli (13 September 2009). "Dan to buy 5% stake in Jerusalem light rail from Veolia". Haaretz. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- ^ Avi Bar-Eli (25 November 2010). "Dan suing as Veolia rides with Egged". The Marker. Archived from the original on 28 November 2010. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- ^ "TST vendida ao grupo israelita Dan". Almadense (in European Portuguese). 19 May 2022. Retrieved 20 May 2022.