Steingass completed his education, including a Ph.D., in Munich, Germany. Later, he was professor of Modern Languages at Birmingham, Professor of Modern Languages and Resident Lecturer on Arabic Languages, Literature & Law at the Oriental Institute, Woking.
- Steingass (1882). English-Arabic dictionary: for the use of both travellers and students. London: W. H. Allen & Co. Retrieved 6 July 2011. Another digitised copy is here.
- Steingass, F.J. (1884). The student's Arabic-English dictionary. London: Crosby Lockwood and Son. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- Steingass (1892). A Comprehensive Persian-English Dictionary, Including the Arabic words and phrases to be met with in literature (5th  ed.). London: Routledge & Kegan Paul. Retrieved 26 October 2017. Apparently there is a 2015 edition from Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers, New Delhi, ISBN 81-7304-669-7.
- The Assemblies of Al-Ḥarîri. Translated from the Arabic with Notes Historical and Grammatical (1898), vol. 2 (the last 24 Assemblies), trans. from Arabic by and F. Steingass, preface & index by F. F. Arbuthnot, Oriental Translation Fund, New Series, 3 (London: Royal Asiatic Society), 2nd of 2 vols, the 1st with the first 24 Assemblies being published in 1867 with a trans. by Thomas Chenery.
- University of Chicago - Digital Dictionaries of South Asia: Steingass, Francis Joseph. A Comprehensive Persian-English dictionary, including the Arabic words and phrases to be met with in Persian literature. London: Routledge & K. Paul, 1892.