Kol Ha'ir has been published by the Schocken Group since 1978,setting the stage for the founding of local newspapers in other cities throughout Israel.Since its inception, the paper has maintained an independent editorial board despite its association with Haaretz.It was launched by Amos Schocken, whose father, Gershom Schocken, was then editor in chief of Haaretz.
- Ben-Yehuda, Nachman (November 29, 2010). Theocratic Democracy: The Social Construction of Religious and Secular Extremism. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-981323-0 – via Google Books.
- Soffer, Oren (November 1, 2014). Mass Communication In Israel: Nationalism, Globalization, and Segmentation. Berghahn Books. ISBN 9781782384526 – via Google Books.
- Abramson, Glenda (March 1, 2004). Encyclopedia of Modern Jewish Culture. Routledge. ISBN 9781134428649 – via Google Books.
- Kaspar, Dan. Media Decentralization: The Case of Israel's Local Newspapers. Transaction Publishers. ISBN 9781412828338 – via Google Books.
- Remnick, David (20 February 2011). "The Dissenters". The New Yorker.