Mayor of Jerusalem
|Mayor of the City of Jerusalem|
since 4 December 2018
|Residence||1 Safra Square, Jerusalem|
|Term length||5 years|
|Website||Office of the Mayor|
|Part of a series on|
The Mayor of the City of Jerusalem is head of the executive branch of the political system in Jerusalem. The mayor's office administers all city services, public property, most public agencies, and enforces all city and state laws within Jerusalem.
The mayor's office is located in Safra Square; it has jurisdiction over all the city's neighborhoods. The mayor appoints many officials, including deputy mayors and city departments directors.
The Jerusalem City Council was established in 1863 during the rule of the Ottoman Empire. From 1948 to 1967 two municipalities operated in the city: an Israeli municipality provided services to the western neighborhoods of the city and a Jordanian municipality to its eastern parts.
By 1840, the Jewish community constituted the largest single religious group in the city. From the 1880s onward, the Jews constituted the majority within the city. However, it was only in 1937, under the British Mandate, that the first Jewish mayor was appointed. Since 1948 every mayor has been Jewish.
List of Mayors of Jerusalem (1845–present)
This is a list of mayors of Jerusalem in chronological order.
Ottoman Empire (1845–1920)
- 1845–1847 – Kıbrıslı Mehmed Emin Pasha, whose first wife, Melek Hanım wrote a book which also described their life in Jerusalem
- 1848–1863 – Ahmad Agha Duzdar Al-Asali (official title: Governor of Jerusalem)
- 1863–1867 – Abdelrahman al-Dajani
- 1867 – Rafadulo Astiriyadis Effendi (acting)
- 1867–1869 – Abdelrahman al-Dajani
- 1869 – Mūsā Faydī al-'Alamī
- 1869–1870 – Abd al-Salām Paşa al Ḥusaynī
- 1870–1876 – Yousef Al-Khalidi
- Triumvirate 1876–1877 – Abd al-Qādir al-Khalīlī Abū l-Hudā/'Umar 'Abd al-Salām Paşa al Ḥusaynī/Salīm Shākir al-Ḥusaynī.
- 1877 – Shaḥāda Faydallāh al-'Alamī
- 1877–1878 – Rafadulo Astiriyadis Effendi (acting)
- 1878–1879 – Yousef Al-Khalidi
- 1879–1881 – Mūsā Faydī al-'Alamī
- 1882–1897 – Ḥusayn Salīm Paşa al Ḥusaynī
- 1897–1899 – Yaseen al-Khalidi
- 1899–1906 – Yousef Al-Khalidi
- 1906–1909 – Faidi al-Alami
- 1909–1917 – Hussein al-Husayni
- 1917–1918 – Aref al-Dajani
- 1918–1920 – Musa Kazim al-Husayni
Mandatory Palestine (1920–1948)
|Mayor||Term start||Term end||Party|
|20||Raghib al-Nashashibi||1920||1934||National Defence Party|
|21||Husayn al-Khalidi||1934||1937||Reform Party|
|22||Daniel Auster||1937||1938||General Zionists|
|23||Mustafa al-Khalidi||1938||1944||National Defence Party|
|(22)||Daniel Auster||1944||1945||General Zionists|
|N/A||City Council committee||1945||1948||Various|
Divided Jerusalem (1948–1967)
Mayors of West Jerusalem (Israel)
Mayors of East Jerusalem (Jordan)
Reunited Jerusalem (1967–present)
|Mayor of Jerusalem||Took office||Left office||Party||Coalition|
1967 – 1969
|Labor – Alignment – Mapam|
1969 – 1993
|26||Uri Lupolianski||2003||2008||Degel HaTorah||United Torah Judaism –|
Degel HaTorah – Agudat Yisrael
|27||Nir Barkat||2008||2018||Independent||Likud – Independents|
|28||Moshe Lion||2018||Incumbent||Independent||Independent |
- Mayoral elections in Jerusalem
- History of Jerusalem
- List of people from Jerusalem
- Timeline of Jerusalem
- ^ Grenville, John Ashley Soames. A History of the World from the 20th to the 21st Century; Routledge, 2005. pg. 456. ISBN 0-415-28955-6
- ^ Weiner, Justus Reid. Is Jerusalem Being "Judaized"?, Jewish Political Studies Review 15:1–2 (Spring 2003), citing Schmelz, U.O. "Modern Jerusalem's Demographic Evolution," Jewish Population Studies 20 (1987):9
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l Johann Büssow,Hamidian Palestine: Politics and Society in the District of Jerusalem 1872–1908, Brill, 2011 p. 554.
- ^ a b Lauren Gelfond Feldinger, 'The next Palestinian revolution, as seen through the eyes of a moderate scholar,' at Haaretz 14 June 2013
- ^ Lydia Mamreov-Mountford, The Kaiser in Jerusalem, New York Times, 27 November 1898
- ^ a b According to Bernard Wasserstein (1977): "MUSA AL-'ALAMI was born in Jerusalem in 1897. His father, Faidi. Effendi al-'Alami, was a large landowner, Mayor of Jerusalem (1906–9)" Published in: Middle Eastern Studies, Vol. 13, No. 2 (May 1977), pp. 171–194, Publisher:Taylor & Francis, Ltd. Stable URL: https://www.jstor.org/stable/4282641
- ^ He was Acting Mayor of Jerusalem, after Mustafa al-Khalidi's death in 1944.
- ^ The office of Mayor of East Jerusalem was dissolved in 1967 after the Six-Day War and it has been titular since then. When al-Khatib died in 1994, he was succeeded by Amin al-Majaj (1994–1998), who was succeeded by Zaki al-Ghul (1999–2019).
- Mayors of Jerusalem
- Jerusalem at World Statesmen
- Mayors of Jerusalem at City of Jerusalem