Tour of Japan
|English name||Tour of Japan|
|Local name(s)||ツアー・オブ・ジャパン (in Japanese)|
|Competition||UCI Asia Tour 2.1|
|Organiser||Cycle Month Promotion Council|
|Race director||Goro Murayama|
|Editions||25 (as of 2023)|
|First winner||Jean-Philippe Duracka (FRA)|
|Most wins|| Fortunato Baliani (ITA)|
Samad Pourseyedi (IRI)
Óscar Pujol (ESP)
Nathan Earle (AUS)
|Most recent||Nathan Earle (AUS)|
The Tour of Japan is an annual professional road bicycle racing stage race held in Japan since 1996 as part of the UCI Asia Tour. It is sanctioned by the International Cycling Union (UCI) as a 2.1 category race.
Tour of Japan was formed as the successor of the Kokusai Cycle Road Race which began in 1982. In 1996, Tour of Japan began as a UCI category 2-5 stage race, and became category 2–4 in 1997. It was downgraded to category 2–5 in 2002.
As the UCI race system was reformed in 2005, it was included in the UCI Asia Tour as a category 2.2 event. It became a category 2.1 event in 2013.
The race has only been cancelled three times in its history. The 2003 edition was canceled for concern over the 2002–2004 SARS outbreak, and the 2011 edition was canceled because of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. The 2020 edition was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 2021 edition was held as a class 2.2 event and a three-day stage race with all domestic teams, exempted by the UCI from the mandatory invitation of foreign teams under Japan's international travel restrictions. The 2022 edition was held as a four-stages, class 2.2 event. It restored the eight-stages class 2.1 form in 2023.
- ^ Murayama, Goro (March 2013). 日本における自転車ロードレース『ツアー・オブ・ジャパン』の歴史 [The history of the bicycle road race in Japan, about "Tour of Japan"] (PDF). 自転車文化センター研究報告書 (in Japanese). Bicycle Culture Center (5).
- ^ "2001 6th Tour of Japan". Tour of Japan Organizing Committee. Retrieved June 9, 2016.
- ^ NEXT TOJ 〜TOJの歴史を振り返る〜 Vol.68. 2017-04-09. Retrieved 2017-04-27.
- Official website
- Tour of Japan palmares at Cycling Archives
- Statistics at the-sports.org
- Tour of Japan at cqranking.com